View All Vacancies

Operational Research Analyst (KTP Associate)

Operational Research

Location:  Other
Salary:   £28,000 to £32,000 per annum
Full Time Fixed Term (30 months)
Closing Date:  Monday 07 January 2019
Interview Date:   Monday 04 February 2019
Reference:  1081918PJ

The University of Southampton in partnership with Lucketts Travel Ltd are seeking a motivated and experienced Operational Research Analyst, specialising in discrete/combinatorial optimization, to work as an Associate on a 30-month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project. This project offers exciting opportunity for the KTP Associate to lead the development of algorithms that schedule coach journeys and create rosters for the drivers. Lucketts Travel is an expanding business that offers coach hire, holidays and day trips to its customers.  With over 130 coaches, Lucketts has become the largest coach operator on the south coast of the UK. The Associate will benefit from the challenging problem of integrating coach scheduling and driver rostering, and from the expertise in discrete/combinatorial optimization that is available from the University of Southampton.

The successful candidate should have a PhD or equivalent professional qualifications and experience in a topic closely resulted to Operational Research or Optimization, or in exceptional circumstances have a directly relevant Masters degree.

Some knowledge of basic techniques for discrete/combinatorial optimization is also required, while experience of using local search methods is desirable. Knowledge of coding in Python, C or C++, or in a similar programming language, is needed for evaluating algorithms though computational testing. Previous experience of working or collaborating with industry is an advantage.

The post is fixed term for 30 months. The KTP Associate will spend approximately 80% of their time based at Lucketts Travel Ltd in Fareham but also making a small number of visits to other Lucketts offices, while the remaining 20% of their time will be spent at the University’s Highfield Campus in Southampton. Interviews will be held at Fareham.

Application Procedure

You should submit your completed online application form at The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Elsa Samwell (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 2507. Please quote reference 1081918PJ on all correspondence.

Please note: The University Recruitment department will be closed from close of business on Thursday 20th December 2018 to Wednesday 2nd January 2019, so we will not be able to assist you with any application queries during this time.

Athena SWAN Bronze Award holder: Mathematical Sciences and S3RI

The closing date for this job opportunity has now passed, and applications are no longer being accepted for this position

Further details:

We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community. Please note that applications from agencies will not be accepted unless indicated in the job advert.

Login to your account


Forgotten your password?

Register for an account

Mindful Employer Disability Confident Leader HR Excellence In Research Stonewall Diversity Champion Athena Swan Silver Award - University of Southampton Committed to being an Inclusive Employer